One of my current modules is to work in a group within the ‘Digital Media Kingston’ department, our brief is to design an App to help a smoker quit smoking. Details are below, you can keep up with our progress on this website: www.addiction-app.co.uk. I’ll post our finished project in a few months, keep your eyes peeled!
There has been much recent debate about the branding of cigarette packets with a UK Government consultation and Ireland becoming the first country in the European Union to ban branding on cigarette packages. Much research, including recent findings from the University of Sterling reinforces the role that branding plays in initiating and reinforcing addiction.
You are asked to explore the hypothesis that branding can play a significant role as a placebo in breaking addiction. Anchored on preliminary designs you are asked to develop a prototype, test, adapt and amend the design.
- Contact Raida Shakiry for guidance on using the Neurosky helmet for research on branding
- Locate secondary research and it’s effect on behaviour
- Contact Nalini Edwards and develop User Journeys
- Contact Karen Cham to explore how to turn key moments in those journeys into design mechanics
- Contact Dr Martin Colbert, collect a Neurosky helmet and arrange access to his USer Studies Lab
- Develop and test a prototype
Neurosky helmet, UX Lab
Karen Cham (designing behaviour change), Nalin Edwards (smokers user journeys), Raida Shakiry (branded UX)
Flash or similar, research and user testing methods.